Friday, March 7, 2014

The Boy on the Porch

I saw The Boy on the Porch by Sharon Creech on the NPR list of best books of 2013.  Sharon Creech is a great children's author whose books I've read before, so I got this book at the library.  This book tells the story of John and Marta--a childless couple who one day finds a 6- or 7-year-old boy on their porch.  The boy doesn't speak, but he has a note that tells John and Marta, "Take care of Jacob; we'll be back for him."  As John and Marta take Jacob under their wing, he blossoms with a gift for music and art, and they come to love him--and begin to worry about when or if someone will come back to get him.

This was a really sweet read, and I love how the book concluded.  I just loved the great life that John and Marta built for little Jacob and how they opened their hearts so willingly.  This book was short and simple, but it was a beautiful story.

Rating: * * (2/3 =  Liked it)

No comments:

Post a Comment