Wednesday, March 4, 2015

One Came Home

One Came Home by Amy Timberlake was a Newbery Honor book in 2014, so I found it and started reading it last year. I lost interest and returned it to the library, but then last week, my sister Molly recommended the book to me after reading it in her Children's Lit class. So, I got it back from the library and gave it another shot. The book is about Georgie Burkhardt in 1870s Wisconsin. Georgie's sister Agatha runs off with a pack of pigeoners, and soon after, an unidentifiable body is found wearing Agatha's ball gown. Georgie won't believe that Agatha is truly dead and sets out on a journey of her own to find the truth.

I'm glad I gave the book another chance because it was an interesting story once I got more into it. The book was very well written with details that really let you imagine the setting and characters. It was a mystery mixed with historical fiction, which made the book unique and fun. I liked trying to figure out what would happen. Everything came together a little too quickly in the end, and something I had hoped for didn't happen, but I still enjoyed the read. Georgie was a strong, likable character, and it was fun to read the book through her perspective.

* * (2/3 = Liked it)

No comments:

Post a Comment