Thursday, January 16, 2020

Roll with It

I saw Roll with It by Jamie Sumner recommended on the A Mighty Girl Facebook page. It is about 12-year-old Ellie who has cerebral palsy and is in a wheelchair. She and her mom move to a new state to help take care of her grandpa with dementia, and Ellie has to transition to a new school.

This was a fun read. I was engaged, finished it quickly, and enjoyed the story. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as similar types of books like Wonder or Out of My Mind, partially because the characters seemed a little bit too exaggerated or stereotypical. I really do love distinct characters, but these seemed a little more forced to me than some books. The author's note in the back said that the author's son has cerebral palsy, which made me really like that the perspective for Ellie was authentic. I thought it was a good read and will probably recommend it to my daughter to read.

Rating: * * (2/3 = Liked it)

No comments:

Post a Comment