Friday, March 18, 2022

The Last Cuentista

I put The Last Cuentista by Donna Barba Higuera on hold at the library after seeing it won this year's Newbery Medal. The book takes place in 2061 when Earth is about to be destroyed by a comet. A few hundred scientists and their children--incuding 12-year-old Petra and her family--have been chosen to journey to a new planet to carry on the human race.

This book was so good! I had it in a pile of several other to-read books and kept putting it off and putting it off until it was the last one left--but once I got into it, I was super engaged and anxious to finish it to see how things would turn out. I hadn't read a futuristic/science fiction type book in FOREVER, so it was kinda creepy for me at first. It gave me vibes of House of the Scorpion and Hunger Games (but I think only because I don't read a lot of books that take place in a future time and those are ones I have read). I thought the story was super exciting with lovable characters and fun twists. There were some stressful and sad parts of the book, but I came away satisfied with how the author concluded things.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment