Thursday, February 16, 2023

Boys in the Boat

I read Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown for my book club. I think I actually read this like 5 years ago but forgot most of it, so it was like enjoying it for the first time. :) This book is the true story of what the subtitle describes as "Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics." The story focuses on Joe Rantz, "a teenager without family or prospects, who rows not only to regain his shattered self-regard but also to find a real place for himself in the world" and also introduces other members of the Washington crew team and their journey to make it to the Olympics.

What an amazing story! I don't know if I am complimenting just the fact that these humans really existed and did all they did or the author on telling the story so well. But I think both. I loved all the characters (and by characters, I mean real people) and their drive and resilience and perseverance. I loved how so many of their successes were so unlikely and yet they managed to do it. Really an inspiring, feel-good story and a great read. I mostly listened to this book on audiobook, and it was very well done.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment