Thursday, March 23, 2023

Iveliz Explains It All

I put Iveliz Explains It All by Andrea Beatriz Arango on my to-read list after it won the 2023 Newbery Honor. Here's the description from the book jacket:
The end of elementary school?
Worst time of my life.
And the start of middle school?
I just wasn’t quite right.
But this year?
YO VOY A MI.
Seventh grade is going to be Iveliz’s year. She’s going to make a new friend, help her abuela Mimi get settled after moving from Puerto Rico, and she is not going to get into any more trouble at school....Except is that what happens? Of course not. Because no matter how hard Iveliz tries, sometimes people say things that just make her so mad. And worse, Mimi keeps saying Iveliz’s medicine is unnecessary—even though it helps Iveliz feel less sad. But how do you explain your feelings to others when you’re not even sure what’s going on yourself?

This book was a great read. I liked how the book uncovered more information about Iveliz and her background as the book went on, and you just couldn't help but feel for her. I felt like the author did a great job getting inside the mind of a teen struggling with her mental health, and I liked the lesson the book taught in the end about friendship and about speaking up and asking for help. This was an engaging read with wonderful characters. It got me teared up and left me inspired.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment