Sunday, March 10, 2024

My Antonia

I read My Antonia by Willa Cather for my book club with friends from church. The book description says, "Set during the great migration west to settle the plains of the North American continent, the narrative follows Antonia Shimerda, a pioneer who comes to Nebraska as a child and grows with the country, inspiring a childhood friend, Jim Burden, to write her life story."

I felt super out of the loop not really knowing about Willa Cather and her books before this (since lots of others in the book club had already read or were familiar with her books), so this was one of those books that I came away from being glad I read even if only to "educate" myself and be more literary. :) I wasn't overly engaged in the book but did enjoy the story and really loved the character of Antonia. There were some sad parts of the story, but I thought the end was satisfying. I probably won't pick up another one of her books on my own, but I wouldn't mind reading another someday if another book club picked it.

* * (2/3 = Liked it)

No comments:

Post a Comment