Friday, June 12, 2015

The War That Saved My Life

I saw The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley on Amazon under a "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" section for a book I was buying, so I got it from the library. It is about 10-year-old Ada who is kept locked up in her house by her cruel mother just because Ada has a crippled foot. When Ada's little brother Jamie is shipped out of London to escape the war, Ada sneaks along with him and experiences the world for the first time.

This was a beautiful book. It was hard to read sometimes because I was so frustrated by Ada's inability to love herself or recognize the love of others--but it also made sense because of the way her mom treated her. I loved learning about a different side of WWII (children evacuees) and following Ada, Jamie, and their new caretaker Susan. The main characters were all distinct and lovable, and the story kept me wondering how there could be a happy ending. I think the book also taught some important lessons about kindness and confidence.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment