Friday, September 27, 2024

Out of My Heart


I just re-read Out Of My Mind and then Out of My Heart by Sharon Draper and noticed I hadn't ever written about the latter on the blog so decided to do it now. The book description says, "Melody, the huge-hearted heroine of Out of My Mind, is a year older, and a year braver. And now with her Medi-talker, she feels nothing’s out of her reach, not even summer camp. There have to be camps for differently-abled kids like her, and she’s going to sleuth one out. A place where she can trek through a forest, fly on a zip line, and even ride on a horse! A place where maybe she really can finally make a real friend, make her own decisions, and even do things on her own—the dream! By the light of flickering campfires and the power of thunderstorms, through the terror of unexpected creatures in cabins and the first sparkle of a crush, Melody’s about to discover how brave and strong she really is."

This is a sweet read and fun continuation of book 1. It's no where near as good as the first book (as is often the case with sequels), but it was fun to return to Melody and see her on a new adventure. I thought the camp she went to seemed super cool. One thing I didn't like about this book was there were lots of things she was experiencing at camp for the first time that I think really her loving, involved parents would have helped her experience earlier in life, so that didn't seem realistic to me. But it was an engaging story with likable characters, and I'm looking forward to book 3 when I make it down on the hold list at the library.

* * (2/3 = Liked it)

No comments:

Post a Comment