Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Savvy

I chose to read Savvy by Ingrid Law because it was a Newbery Honor book. This book is about Mibs Beaumont, who is anxiously awaiting her very near 13th birthday. In her family, turning 13 is special because that's when you discover your savvy. One of her brothers can control electricity; another can start hurricanes. Then, days before her birthday, her dad ends up in the hospital in critical condition--leaving Mibs without her parents on her big day. This book follows Mibs's adventure as she comes to discover her savvy.

This book was okay. It took me a long time to get through (even though it's not a long book). It had some fun ideas, and a few really likeable characters (particularly Will Junior, who crushes on Mibs). Overall, though, I didn't feel like the plot or story line was exceptionally strong. I liked reading it most of the time, but I didn't feel there was anything too wonderful or special about it. I really feel like Newbery award winners (medals/honors) are hit and miss. Some I absolutely LOVE, and others, I really don't know why they were winners. Good thing I'm not a judge.

Rating: * (1/3 = It was okay.)

No comments:

Post a Comment