Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My Friend the Enemy

I have had My Friend the Enemy by J.B. Cheaney on my bookshelf for awhile after getting it from a book order last year sometime. I was in between books yesterday and decided to finally read it. It's the story of a girl named Hazel, living during World War II. Her birthday (December 7th) has been forever ruined ever since it became a "Day That Would Live in Infamy," and Hazel spends her free time using her field glasses to look out for Japanese enemies. Then one day she discovers a Japanese boy in hiding to avoid going to an internment camp. The book follows Hazel's thoughts, friendships, and decisions during wartime.

This was a really great book. As usual, I just love historical fiction because it puts you in that world. There were so many references to what really went on in an average American town during this WWII time period. Hazel was also a really likable character, and it was fun and enlightening to read things from her perspective. The book was exciting and interesting.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

1 comment:

  1. ummm, wanna lend that book to me? it sounds like one i'd like. thanksies.

    ReplyDelete