Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Great Gilly Hopkins

I saw The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson recommended in "The Mini Page," a little section of the Washington Post for kids. I remembered my mom (or someone) telling me to read the book when I was a kid, so I decided I should try it now. It is the story of Gilly--a child in the foster care system who gets placed in home after home. Finally her newest home is the last straw, so she writes a letter to her birth mom in desperate hopes of getting rescued. The book tells what happens in the chain of events that follow.

I really liked this book. Gilly was just such an interesting character with flaws that you just couldn't blame her for. The book actually made me cry and was quite sad, but I suppose that's what made it a realistic and believable book. It was a quick read with good detail.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

1 comment: