Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mockingbird

I was reading Shannon Hale's blog and saw her recommendation of Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine. (Shannon Hale is one of my favorite authors.) The book looked good, so I decided to read it. It's the story of a 10-year-old girl named Caitlin who has Asperger's syndrome. After her brother is killed in a school shooting, Caitlin realizes she needs to find what she keeps hearing about--closure. The book is written from the point of view of Caitlin.

This book was awesome! There were times when I was half laughing, half crying just because the book just made me feel for Caitlin so much. It was extremely well written with completely understandable and lovable characters. I love books like this that tell the story from the point of view of a character with a disability because it just is so much more enlightening than if the story were told any other way. Caitlin's behaviors often reminded me of students I taught with Asperger's, and I just loved reading how she felt and seeing all the different characters' interactions with her.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment