Thursday, February 10, 2011

Out of My Mind

My cousin recommended Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper to my grandma, so I decided to read it as well. This book is from the point of view of Melody, a fifth grader with cerebral palsy. She is unable to talk and has a limited ability to communicate, but words and thoughts fill her brilliant mind. Melody deals with judgmental peers and teachers but a wonderfully supportive family and neighbor. When she finds a computer system that allows her to speak for the first time, Melody finds herself with new opportunities.

This was a really incredible story. The main character's experiences were very compelling and just made me really think about how I have reacted to people with her type of disabilities. I was touched by the kindness of some of the characters--and disappointed by the thoughtlessness of others. The book really captured so many emotions--had me laughing, crying, the whole gamut. It was very enlightening and touching.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

2 comments:

  1. I loved this too. Was really heartbroken at times. So glad you recommended it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this too. Was really heartbroken at times. So glad you recommended it!

    ReplyDelete