Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Dreamer

After reading and enjoying many of Pam Munoz Ryan's books, I was excited to read her new one, The Dreamer. This book is about Neftali, a small and weak boy who has a love of words. Living in Chile, he endures loneliness and the ridicule of his father through daydreaming, reading, and putting together words. After finishing the book, I realized that this book is a fictional book based on the real events of Pablo Neruda's childhood. (Pablo Neruda is a very famous poet that I will confess I hadn't heard about until reading this book.)

I really enjoyed this book. Neftali was such a wonderful character, full of so much life. It was sad to read how he was treated by his father. I loved reading about Neftali's strong spirit and his love of the details of life. The book was very well written--like poetry itself--with lots of tender moments and important messages.

Rating: * * (2/3 = Liked it)

No comments:

Post a Comment