Thursday, December 8, 2011

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin was a 2010 Newbery honor book.  As part of my attempt to read all the medal/honor books from the last decade, I decided to read this one.  It is the story of Minli from the valley of Fruitless Mountain who loves hearing her father's stories about Jade Dragon and the Old Man of the Moon.  She becomes disenchanted with her poor life and decides to go try to find a fortune for her family by seeking out the Old Man of the Moon.

I feel like the plot description does not do this book justice because it is a wonderful, engaging story.  It was a quick read but partially because I just didn't want to put it down.  I loved Minli's sweet, believing character and all the people and creatures she meets along her journey.  This book ties together Chinese folklore and is filled with the stories Minli is told throughout the book.  I also loved also the lesson Minli learns in the book about obtaining her family's fortune.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment