Saturday, December 3, 2011

Forge

Forge by Laurie Halse Anderson is the sequel to a book I read awhile back called Chains.  I've loved all the historical fiction books I'd read by Laurie Halse Anderson in the past, so I was excited to read this one too.  Even though this is a sequel, it follows the secondary character from the first book, a slave named Curzon.  After being promised freedom from his owner after service in the Revolutionary War army, Curzon re-enlists in the army as a free person.  This book follows what happens to him during his time at Valley Forge.

This was another fabulous book.  It was completely engaging and interesting with characters I loved to love (and others I loved to hate).  It had clever twists and just a wonderful story, all with an incredible glimpse at what life was like for slaves, soldiers, and Patriots during the Revolutionary War.  Even better, the author threw in a little connection/shout-out to another one of her books that isn't even part of this series.  Too cool.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment