Thursday, October 22, 2009

Chains

I saw Chains at the library, and I recognized the author (Laura Halse Anderson) from a book I read to my 5th grade classes (Fever 1793). This book is about a girl named Isabel who is a slave during the late 1770s as the fight for independence is beginning between the Patriots and Loyalists. When Isabel is sold to a new owner in New York, she meets Curzon, a slave for a Patriot, who encourages Isabel to spy on her Loyalist owners. However, she also hears that the British offer freedom to slaves who will help their side. The story follows what happens to Isabel as she seeks her own freedom.

I really loved reading this book. It was a really powerful story that brought me into Isabel's mind and heart and gave me a small glimpse of what life was like for a slave during this revolutionary time period. I have to agree wholeheartedly with the quote on the back of the book, and since I can't say it any better, here it is (from Angela Johnson, a Coretta Scott King Award winner): "Laura Halse Anderson's Chains is searing and has so many brilliant sparks I became lost in it. Isabel's harrowing journey into a nightmare realm of slavery, betrayal, loss, and ultimately hope quite literally had me sobbing." Me too. Great book!

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

2 comments:

  1. wow, thats intense. i almost think i might read it. i also want to read the BFG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh. my. gosh. i HAVE to read this book!!!! i LOVE revolutionary war books. and this one sounds really good.

    you should read this book called "midnight rider" by Joan Hiatt Harlow. it was my favorite book for a few years. about a girl in that same era. its a fun read.

    ReplyDelete