Thursday, October 8, 2009

Anthem

Anthem by Ayn Rand is the October book for a book club group I'm in (with women at church). It is a book that takes place in a futuristic time where our world has evolved to one where there is no real individualism. The narrator tells the story from his point of view, but he speaks of himself using the pronoun "we" because the word "I" is forbidden (and unknown) in this world. The book tells Equality 7-2521's story of finding a hidden tunnel where he spends time and discovers that there is more to life than the knowledge he has.

In the first couple pages of this book, I was quite confused. The pronoun usage threw me off, and if I weren't reading this for a book club, I probably would have just given up. However, I caught on not too far into it, and I'm glad I kept reading because it was a unique book--one I wouldn't have chosen on my own. It was interesting to think about deeper meanings and to see what the narrator discovered and what choices he made. I can't say that I really loved this book because it seemed focused on making a philosophical statement, while I normally more enjoy books where I relate to characters. So, even though those of you reading this may think I'm a slacker for giving a 1-star-rating to the only "classic" book on my blog so far....I'm doing it anyway.

Rating: * (1/3 = It was okay)

(Side note: 1 star isn't really as bad as it seems. When I made my blog, I decided to use the normal 5-star scale like on GoodReads but eliminate the bottom 2 stars since I never would finish a book I'd rate that low. So, really a 1 star is like a 3 star on normal rating systems. Yay.)

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you were in a book group! That's fun. That book sounds kinda weird, but kinda interesting at the same time. There are so many books out about a different world in the future, like The Giver and Uglies. Authors are so creative to come up with all this stuff.

    ReplyDelete