Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had

I found The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had by Kristin Levine at the library. This story takes place in 1917 in Moundsville, Alabama. The main character is Dit, a 12-year-old who is excited for the postmaster's new son to move in to his small town at the start of the summer. He thinks he's hit his "worst bad luck" ever when the postmaster turns out to be black and has a daughter, Emma, instead of a son. However, Dit soon realizes that this is instead the "best bad luck" he's ever had when he and Emma become inseparable. Of course, though, at this time there are problems connected with a white girl and a black boy being friends, and this book tells their story.

I LOVED this book. First of all, I really enjoy historical fiction books where I get a glimpse of another time in history. Through the point of view of a 12-year-old, this book really captured the inequality between blacks and whites that remained in the South even into the 1900s. Also, it was just fun to become a part of Dit and Emma's friendship and to read about the day-to-day adventures in their small town.


Stars: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

1 comment:

  1. This book looks really good! I think i will be putting this on my list of books to read.

    ReplyDelete