Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

I wanted to read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor after reading its prequel, The Land a few weeks ago.  I'm pretty sure I read this book back in middle school, but I didn't remember much about it.  It's about the Logan family, living in the 1930s in Mississippi.  Nine-year-old Cassie and her brothers are learning to come to terms with what it means to be black in their community, and the whole family endures trials as the result of racism as well as financial difficulties.

This was another beautifully written book by Mildred Taylor.  She does an amazing job just bringing the reader into the story and making the situations and characters so real.  I was super engaged in the story, and it was very thought-provoking.  I really loved the book.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment