Sunday, December 9, 2012

Happier at Home

I loved Gretchen Rubin's book The Happiness Project, so when I saw she had this new book, Happier at Home, I knew I wanted to read it.  The subtitle to the book reads: "Kiss More, Jump More, Abandon a Project, Read Samuel Johnson, and My Other Experiments in the Practice of Everyday Life."  The book chronicles the author's resolutions to be more happy--focused especially on her home life.  She points out that it's not that she's not happy--it's just that she wanted to make her home happier by appreciating how much happiness was already there.

This was another really thought-provoking book.  It had lots of points that really stuck out to me and helped me realize where I can find more happiness in my life.  Not all of her points or experiences related to me exactly, but the book's overall ideas really resonated with me.  I realized how choices like getting rid of meaningful stuff or starting a memory box for my daughter or treating my husband better (or a myriad of other ideas) would bring me so much more joy in my life.  I liked a quote she shared from Walt Whitman: "Happiness, knowledge, not in another place, but this place, not another hour, but this hour."  So often it's easy for me to wait for happiness to come later...as soon as I get through this stage of life or as soon as this happens.  But, this book reminded me that now is the time to be happy: "How breathtaking, how fleeting, how precious was my ordinary day.  Now is now.  Here is my treasure."

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment