Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Help

A few months ago, a lady in my old book club was moving and getting rid of lots of stuff--the book The Help by Kathryn Stockett was among the things I took. I saw it on my bookshelf this week when looking for something new to read and started it. Two days later, I was finished. The Help is a novel about three women in the 1960s in Jackson, Mississippi--a young, white woman and two black maids--who come together on a brave and risky project.

Why have I never read The Help before now? This was a really amazing book. It was beautifully written, and the characters were distinct and interesting and real. It was a very inspiring book and gave me a glimpse of what life was like in a southern town leading up to the Civil Rights movement. The book kept me so engaged that it was hard to put it down (even when I should've...like when Emmeline woke up from her nap or when I should've been sleeping last night), and I thought about it all the time. It just kept a few elements of mystery in the story that I wanted to keep reading to figure out. This was a wonderful and beautiful book that helped me better understand the time period and glimpse the good and bad in the 1960s lives of black domestic help--who I consider to be really inspiring people.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment