Friday, October 17, 2014

Luckiest Man: The Life and Death of Lou Gehrig

I randomly read something about Lou Gehrig recently, and even though I already knew the basics about him, it sparked my interest.  I found Luckiest Man by Jonathan Eig (a biography of Lou Gehrig) at the library.  It tells about his rough beginning, his dedicated mother, his involvement in baseball, his time with the Yankees, his relationship with Babe Ruth, and his sudden downfall and subsequent diagnosis with ALS.

This was a wonderful, beautiful book.  It gave me so much respect for Lou Gehrig as a baseball player and as a person.  He was an incredible man who seemed to make the most of his life and appreciate every day he had--even before the terrible diagnosis.  Jonathan Eig is a great writer--biographies can be incredibly boring, but this one was entertaining, enlightening, and heart-wrenching.  I'm so glad I read this book.  I loved the last line in the book--"ALS is a disease of weakness, but Lou Gehrig's disease is associated with strength--the strength of a stricken man who said he felt lucky."

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment