Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Roller Girl

I've started working on reading the 2016 Newbery winners, and Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson was one of the honor winners. It is a graphic novel about 12-year-old Astrid who goes to a roller derby bout with her mom and a friend and realizes that she has found something she will love. Roller derby camp ends up not being as easy as she expected, and things begin changing with her friends. The inside of the dust jacket reads, "There are bumps and bruises as Astrid learns who she is...and what it takes to be a strong, tough roller girl."

I really loved this book. I think it made it even better that a year or two ago, I went to a roller derby bout because my friend/neighbor plays roller derby. The story was engaging, the characters--especially Astrid--were real and believable, the pictures were descriptive and expressive, etc. I just loved the progression of the story as well as the life lessons Astrid learned about friendship and endurance. Normally I don't love graphic novels because they aren't long enough to engage me or they feel choppy, but this one was awesome. I'm a fan.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment