Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Rules

I saw Rules by Cynthia Lord on the shelf at Emmeline's school library when I was volunteering and realized that I'd never read it even though I've seen it around many times. This book is about 12-year-old Catherine who has a younger brother with autism. She spends lots of time teaching David "rules" to try to deal with some of his embarrassing behaviors. Over the summer, she meets Jason, a friend at her brother's therapy, and Kristi, the new next-door-neighbor-best-friend she's always dreamed of, and she begins to learn a lot about herself.

This was a good read. I really love books that have characters with special needs because I just think it's nice to see things from a different perspective. I liked the characters in this story but almost wish some of the book was a little deeper. I also felt like it concluded a little....inconclusively. But parts of the book were very endearing. It was a quick, engaging read.

Rating: * * (2/3 = Liked it)


Here is a list some favorite books I've read with characters with disabilities or special needs.

  • Out of My Mind by Sharon M Draper
  • Rain Reign by Ann M. Bartin
  • Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan
  • Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin
  • Al Capone Does My Shirts series by Gennifer Choldenko

No comments:

Post a Comment