Monday, October 5, 2020

Home of the Brave

My daughter told me that her teacher was reading Home of the Brave by Katherine Applegate aloud to the class, so I decided to get it from the library and read it as well. It was also already on my to-read list, and I have really liked several of Katherine Applegate's other books (Wishtree, The One and Only Ivan). This book is about Kek, who comes to America from Africa after living in a refugee camp. He lost his father and brother in the war and desperately hopes that his mother is still alive. As he joins his aunt and cousin in America, he adjusts to his unfamiliar aspects of his new life--snow, school, and even laundry machines.

This was a beautiful read. It was written in verse (which I love, like I always say), and the author created distinct, believable characters and a story that kept me engaged. I'm really glad my daughter is reading this book as well because it offers a glimpse into what it's like to be an immigrant--learning about a completely new culture and having to adjust. It also doesn't shy away from the pain that is in the past of a refugee child. This was a meaningful read that had me tearing up several times.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment