Monday, October 5, 2020

Unbound

I've had Unbound by Ann E. Burg on my to-read list for awhile and finally got around to reading it now that I have access to a physical library again. Unbound, written in verse, is about Grace, a 9-year-old slave who has to leave her family to work in the Big House. The more time Grace spends around the Master and Missus, the more she recognizes the injustice of slavery and the life she and her family must live. When her family is in danger, she realizes the only option is to run.

This was a a wonderful book. I always love books written in verse, and Ann E. Burg is a great writer. (I also loved her book Serafina's Promise.) I think this is a great book to introduce older children to the reality of slavery, and it is also good for adults to learn about a unique historical aspect of slavery--runaways who found safety in the Great Dismal Swamp.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment