Thursday, January 16, 2014

Serafina's Promise

I saw Serafina's Promise by Ann E. Burg on the shelf of new children's books at the library.  It caught my eye because it was described on the cover as "a novel in verse," and the back cover included a review written by Karen Hesse (whose novel Out of the Dust was written in verse and was one of my favorite books when I was a kid).  This book follows Serafina, a young girl living in Haiti. Her family doesn't have much money, but Serafina dreams of being able to attend school so she can one day become a doctor--just like the woman who once tried to save her baby brother's life.  But Serafina's life is not easy, especially when a huge earthquake hits the city right by her home.

This was a beautifully written book.  It was completely engaging, and Serafina was an inspiring and hope-filled character.  I loved how the book captured the Haitian people and culture.  I also just felt so connected to all of the characters, who were so well-developed.  I really loved reading the book, and I would definitely recommend this quick read to others.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment