Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Boy on the Wooden Box

I found this next book on the Provo City Library's children's book blog.  It is called The Boy on the Wooden Box: How the impossible became possible on Schindler's list.  This book is a memoir written by Leon Leyson, a child/teenager who survived the Holocaust.  He and his family lived a happy life in Poland until German soldiers took over and began to send Jews to ghettos and concentration camps.  It wasn't until Leon found himself and some of his family on a list of "necessary" workers--a list created by a Nazi named Oskar Schindler--that Leon realized he had a chance of surviving the war.

This was an amazing story.  Every Holocaust book I read just shocks me as I again realize the absolute horror the Jews had to go through during this terrible time.  Leon was an amazingly strong, brave kid to go through all that he did, and the book also helped me see the heroism of Oskar Schindler--one who did "the best of things in the worst of times."  This was a wonderful book, and I really loved the Afterword with words written by his wife and kids.  I'm so glad I read this book.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment