Monday, December 30, 2013

Written in Stone

Written in Stone by Rosanne Parry was recommended on the Provo City Library blog.  The book is about Pearl, a young Native American girl who is part of the Makah people.  They are whale hunters, but when Pearl's father is killed on a hunt and then the whales begin hiding from steam-powered ships, Pearl and her people are in trouble. Pearl must find a way to help protect her people and preserve their stories.

This was a nice read.  It had a super slow start, though, and I probably wouldn't have kept reading beyond the first few chapters except for the raving review the librarian gave on the Provo City site.  The book was described as "a fascinating, tender, totally respectful story of the Pacific Coast Indians, not to be missed."  So when I wasn't into the book at first, I knew I should maybe give it more time to see what the reviewer saw.  I was glad I kept reading because I became more interested as the book went on.  It was a sweet, tender story that captured the lives of Native Americans through the author's beautiful writing.  I also liked that the author's first job was teaching school on a reservation, so she really has a love and respect for Native American people.

Rating: * * (2/3 = Liked it)

No comments:

Post a Comment