Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Color of Water

I saw The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother in a pile of books my mom was giving away.  My sister said she had read it as an assignment in high school or college, and after reading the back, I was intrigued and decided to read it.  It is a memoir written by James McBride about his mother.  He grew up knowing his mother was different--he and most of his community was black, but his mother was white.  Not until he was an adult did James learn about his mother's past--growing up in a Jewish family in southern Virginia.  This book tells her story...and his.

This was a really interesting read.  Ruth (James's mother) had a very diverse and fascinating life, and the book kept me reading.  There were some parts that were a little repetitive, and the end dragged on a little,  but otherwise, I really enjoyed reading it and learned a lot.  It exposed me to several different time periods in a couple different places in the US, and I was able to see the racial divide from the point of view of one who was in both worlds.  I was also inspired and touched by all this woman overcame and what amazing children she raised even with so much difficulty. I really enjoyed the book.

Rating: * * (2/3 = Liked it)

No comments:

Post a Comment