Saturday, January 16, 2021

Shine

I heard about Shine by J.J. and Chris Grabenstein in my Children & Libraries journal where I read an article about couples who collaborate. Chris Grabenstein is a well-known author, and for this book, he wrote with his wife, J.J., an actress/singer. Shine is about 12-year-old Piper who has to transfer schools when her dad accepts a new job as the music director at Chumley Prep, a private school for rich kids--which seems like a place where Piper will never fit in. The book follows Piper as she makes friends, navigates a bully, and figures out what things like friendship and excellence really mean.

I really enjoyed this book. The characters were great, and I liked following the problems Piper faced and how she tried to work through them. The book was a little predictable for me, but I don't think a kid would catch onto everything quite like I did. I think this would be a great book for my 10-year-old and one that she'd really enjoy, but it does have a spoiler for something she still believes in, so I'll give it a year. :)

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment