Saturday, March 20, 2021

Lety Out Loud

I saw Lety Out Loud by Angela Cervantes on the list of Pura Belpre award winners and presented it to Emmeline's book club as one of the possible books to read--and they voted to read it for this month! It's the story of Lety--an English Language Learner--who attends a summer day camp at an animal shelter. She decides to try to be one of the shelter scribes who writes profiles about the animals to help them get adopted. Unfortunately, grumpy Hunter wants to be shelter scribe too--so their friends make it into a contest to see whose profiles get the animals adopted quicker.

This was such a fun read. I'm not really an animal person, so I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy the book that much, but of course I was tearing up at the end as I was reading aloud to Emmeline and had to have her read to me for one page. I loved that the book shared the perspective of families who come to the United States and are learning English. I loved all the characters, and Emmeline always wanted me to keep reading extra chapters so we could see what happened. I also was happy with how things came together at the end. I'm glad we read this one.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment