Monday, July 31, 2023

The Alchemist

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho has been on my to-read list for awhile. (I saw someone recommend it one time on social media, and then I found it at the thrift store and so had it on my shelf. Then at my last book club, a friend recommended it.) Originally written in Portuguese, this book is the story of "an Andalusian shepherd boy named Santiago who travels from his homeland in Spain to the Egyptian desert in search of a treasure buried near the Pyramids. Along the way, he meets a Gypsy woman, a man who calls himself king, and an alchemist, all of whom point Santiago in the direction of his quest. No one knows what the treasure is, or if Santiago will be able to surmount the obstacles in his path. But what starts out as a journey to find world goods turns into a discover of the treasure found within."

This was SUCH a good book! I was surprised how quickly it engaged me, and I just loved the story and each adventure Santiago went on and the people he met. I also just loved how the story ended and the deeper message the book taught. As soon as I finished the book, I kind of wanted to re-read it, which like never happens to me. I just think it was an interesting and thought-provoking book and an excellent story. Great read!

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment