Thursday, June 6, 2024

Manhunt

I read Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson for my newest book club. (I'm in too many book clubs). This book description says, "The murder of Abraham Lincoln set off the greatest manhunt in American history--the pursuit and capture of John Wilkes Booth. From April 14 to April 26, 1865, the assassin led Union cavalry troops on a wild, 12-day chase from the streets of Washington, D.C., across the swamps of Maryland, and into the forests of Virginia, while the nation, still reeling from the just-ended Civil War, watched in horror and sadness. Based on rare archival materials, obscure trial transcripts, and Lincoln’s own blood relics Manhunt is a fully documented, fascinating tale of murder, intrigue, and betrayal. A gripping hour-by-hour account told through the eyes of the hunted and the hunters, it is history as it’s never been read before."

This was a good read. I started it on audio and couldn't quite follow it well enough, so I switched over to the paper book, which was better for me because I ended up needing to finish it kind of quickly over a week, and reading is faster than listening. I found the story engaging and never was bored with it. The author did a great job describing details and helping us get to know all the players in the story and keeping the action moving forward. It really is pretty fascinating to learn the details behind Lincoln's assassination and the manhunt for Booth and the people who helped Booth along the way. If you enjoy historical nonfiction, I recommend this one.

Rating: * * (2/3 = Liked it)

No comments:

Post a Comment