Sunday, May 20, 2012

Bigger than a Bread Box

I saw a review for Bigger than a Bread Box by Laurel Snyder on Provo City Library's blog of new books out.  It's about 12-year-old Rebecca whose parents' disagreements lead to her mom taking Rebecca and her brother to Gran's house in Georgia so Mom can "think things through."  Rebecca is furious at her mom for making them leave her dad and is trying to adjust to their (hopefully) temporary stay in Georgia, including going to a new school.  One day Rebecca finds a bread box in Gran's attic and realizes that it grants wishes--anything she asks for suddenly appears, as long as it fits in the bread box.  Rebecca is loving the magic she's found until she realizes that it's not exactly what it seems.

This was a good book. I felt like Rebecca was a really believable character, and I really liked how the book seemed more like a realistic fiction book--just the magic of the bread box thrown in there to make it a little fantastical.  The book was well written and a really nice story that kept me interested.  I wasn't wild about the ending, but I still enjoyed the book.

Rating: * * (2/3 = Liked it)

No comments:

Post a Comment