Friday, May 25, 2012

The Land

The Land by Mildred D. Taylor is the book of the month for the book club I'm in.  It's a prequel to Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, a book I read back in middle school.  It's the story of Paul-Edward, the son of a black former slave and her white owner.  Paul, growing up in the 1880s, finds himself caught between two worlds.  While his white father and brothers accept him, educate him, and love him, the rest of the white world is not so kind.  However, the black community often dislikes Paul because his skin is so white and the advantages he received.  The book follows Paul-Edward from childhood through adulthood as he tries to follow his dream of owning land just like his father.

This was an AWESOME book.  I was just completely enthralled and didn't want to stop reading.  I loved following the story and the characters, and it was just felt so real.  (Actually, the reason it felt that way is probably because the story is based real experiences in the author's family history, which makes the book even more fascinating.)  I loved getting a glimpse of what life was like between whites and blacks during this time period.  This was just a wonderfully written, fabulous story that made me smile, get choked up, and think hard about the way our country used to be.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment