Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Selection


My friend Katherine recommended The Selection by Kiera Cass to me. It is about America, a teenager who is a Five in the caste system--meaning she has some food to eat (not as bad as the Eights), but her family never has leftovers. When the time comes for the prince to get a wife, America's family wants America to apply for the Selection--because if she is in the running, their family gets some extra money. When America surprisingly makes it as part of the Selection, she leaves behind her family and boyfriend in a competition for something she doesn't even want--or so she thinks.

This was a super engaging book. I read it super fast (although that could also be because we are an empty house with no Internet and so my time-wasting Internet time was instead spent reading). From the very beginning, I was pretty hooked into the story. It reminded me of several other books I read and enjoyed--just had parts of lots of good books (Hunger Games, Princess Academy, Uglies, etc.). Even though the book was sometimes a little cheesy or sometimes had a tell-rather-than-show explanation, I thought it was a fun story and a cute chick flick. The characters were great, and the story stayed in my mind after finishing it.  Unfortunately, it is Book One in a series, which I didn't realize until the end when I could tell the book was not going to be able to conclude in the few pages I had left. Bummer! I wanted to see what would happen, but I guess I will have to wait until book two.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment