Friday, August 9, 2013

Beyond Courage: The Untold Story of Jewish Resistance During the Holocaust

The Provo City Library's blog of new books reviewed Beyond Courage: The Untold Story of Jewish Resistance During the Holocaust by Doreen Rappaport last year, and I have had it on my to-read list ever since. It is a nonfiction book that tells the stories of many Jewish people who resisted the Nazis during World War II. The book jacket ends with, "These resisters answered the genocidal madness and unspeakable depravity that was Hitler's Holocaust with the greatest weapons of all--courage, ingenuity, the will to survive, and the resolve to save others or to die trying."

This was an amazing and inspiring book. The Holocaust is absolutely terrible to read about--it is unreal what Hitler and the Nazis and others did to Jews during this time period. I cannot even fathom the horror that so many Jews went through, and while the past cannot be changed, I am grateful that I can at least honor the memories of those who suffered and died by reading books like this. The stories in this book were inspiring--from people rescuing Jewish children to planning escapes to risking their lives for others, every story amazed me as I saw the goodness of people in the absolute worst possible times. 

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment