Thursday, September 26, 2013

Emmaline and the Bunny

I randomly saw Emmaline and the Bunny by Katherine Hannigan on a shelf at the library and was so surprised to see a book with my daughter Emmeline's name.  It looked like a cute book (an easier chapter book with some illustrations in there), so I told Emmeline about it, and we checked it out.  It is about a little girl named Emmaline who lives in Neatasapin where everything is tidy--but she doesn't like being tidy.  She wants a pet bunny, but bunnies are not allowed because they are too dirty.  But Emmaline is lonely, and she wants to find a way to get a bunny somehow.

I read this book aloud to Emmeline over a few days.  It's the first time I've attempted a chapter book with her, and she was actually quite interested in it.  (I only did attempt a chapter book because it was an Emmaline book, but now maybe I'll try again sometime.)  Each day when we read more, I just reminded her what had happened before, and I asked her some questions throughout to see how she was following it and to help her understand.  It was fun to read it with her, and she really liked the plot--a girl named Emmaline, bunny rabbits....that's about all it takes to interest a 3-year-old.  I didn't actually love the book that much though, which surprised me since the author's book Ida B is fabulous.  I think the book was just kind of random.  I also think I would've liked it slightly more if I didn't read it aloud because it had a kind of odd writing style that I think would have come across better in my mind rather than spoken aloud.  But I think it was actually a pretty good first chapter book to read to Emmeline.

Rating: * (1/3 = It was okay)

No comments:

Post a Comment