Saturday, May 30, 2015

Wonder (& 2 bonus stories)

After lending Wonder by R.J. Palacio to a couple friends, I decided I should re-read it since it is one of my favorite books. And after re-reading it, I bought two of the bonus stories the author wrote--Pluto (a chapter from Christopher's perspective) and Shingaling (a chapter from Charlotte's perspective). Here's the link to first time I wrote about this book and the time I re-read it the first time, but basically this book is the story of fifth grader Auggie Pullman who is born with a craniofacial anomaly--which makes his face receive a lot of negative attention when he starts school for the first time. Wonder is about how he and the kids around him handle this year of school. The two extra chapters I read tell the stories of two other characters from the book during the same school year.

I loved Wonder again, and I also loved the two new stories. The stories helped me realize that kindness can be shown in a lot of different ways. Wonder always inspires me to be a better, kinder person and to raise my daughter to show kindness without reservation. If you haven't read this book, you really, really should. It is not very long and brings out laughter, tears, and deep thinking about life.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment