Thursday, July 23, 2020

When Stars are Scattered

I randomly saw the front cover of When Stars are Scattered by Victoria Jamieson and Omar Mohamed when scrolling through Amazon or my Kindle or something, and it caught my eye--particularly because Victoria Jamieson is the author of Roller Girl, a graphic novel that Emmeline and I both loved. When Stars are Scattered is a graphic novel based on the real experiences of Somali refugee Omar Mohamed. It follows Omar's 15 years living in a refugee camp in Kenya. The book describes Omar's protective relationship with his nonverbal brother, his questions about what happened to his mother, and his opportunity to attend school.

This was an AMAZING book. Emmeline read it first and loved it, and then I read it next and loved it too. It was a powerful story in portraying what it is like to be a refugee, and it was just incredible to follow the experiences Omar had. I loved the "from the author" sections at the end where I learned how this book came to be AND what happened to Omar after the end of the book. This is a very approachable book for children to learn about the refugee experience. The story is amazing, but Victoria Jamieson is also a very talented storyteller and artist. Great read, highly recommended.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment