Thursday, April 22, 2021

A Good Kind of Trouble

I got Lisa Moore Ramee's book A Good Kind of Trouble from the library after enjoying her book Something to Say. This book is about Shayla, who starts junior high and struggles with drama related to friends and boys. Shayla's sister Hana supports the Black Lives Matter movement, but Shayla isn't sure she wants to get involved--until an unfair trial ruling makes her realize she has to stand up.

This was a good read. The story was engaging, and I thought the book did a great job portraying the perspective of one young black girl and her experiences while also addressing things like friendship issues that can affect everyone. I really liked how Shayla--who is a good girl and doesn't like to get in trouble--finds that there are times where you have to stand up for what's right, even if you might get in trouble for it. The book was filled with characters to love (Isabella) and ones to really not love (the principal), and I think this is a really important book. This one wasn't quite as good as Something to Say to me, and I also felt like there was a lot of bad stuff going on that she never told her parents about--which made it a hard read for me at times. But I still enjoyed it overall and finished it fairly quickly.

Rating: * * (2/3 = Liked it)

No comments:

Post a Comment