Monday, April 5, 2021

Something to Say

I saw Something to Say by Lisa Moore Ramee on the new book shelf at the library, and it caught my eye. It is about 11-year-old Jenae who is content with her life of being invisible at school and having no friends. However, the new school year changes things for her when 1) her English teacher announces that everyone will be giving speeches in class (major phobia of Jenae's) and 2) a new boy named Aubrey seems insistent on being her friend, despite her best efforts to push him away.

This was such a great read! I finished it in just a couple days because I kept wanting to read and see how things would turn out. I sometimes was frustrated by Jenae's inner struggles and her inability to just speak up, but I think that was kind of the whole point of the book (note the title). I liked following the various side issues in the story (her brother, her grandfather, her school's name) and really loved the character Aubrey. This was a great read, and I'm so glad I accidentally came across it. I'll recommend this to Emmeline next. It also looks like the author has written another book, so I'm going to get that from the library next.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment