Thursday, December 2, 2021

The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle

I came across The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle by Leslie Connor when shelving books at the library where I volunteer, and it caught my eye--so I decided to read it. This story is best described by the description on the book jacket: "Mason Buttle is the biggest, sweatiest kid in his grade, and everyone knows he can barely read or write. Mason’s learning disabilities are compounded by grief. Fifteen months ago, Mason’s best friend, Benny Kilmartin, turned up dead in the Buttle family’s orchard. An investigation drags on, and Mason, honest as the day is long, can’t understand why Lieutenant Baird won’t believe the story Mason has told about that day. Both Mason and his new friend, tiny Calvin Chumsky, are relentlessly bullied by the other boys in their neighborhood, so they create an underground haven for themselves. When Calvin goes missing, Mason finds himself in trouble again. He’s desperate to figure out what happened to Calvin and, eventually, Benny. But will anyone believe him?"

This book was SO GOOD. It engaged me from the beginning while I tried to figure out what had happened with Benny, and Mason was just such a lovable character that I was rooting for the entire book. I also loved the school counselor Ms. Blinny, who makes her room a refuge for all the kids who need a safe place. It just touched my heart to read any part where she was in the story because she had created such a beautiful home within the school. Anyway, I just loved this book and highly recommend it. Even though there is some heavy content in there with death, I think it would be ok for my 11-year-old, so I'll recommend it to her next time she needs a book.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment