Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Elf Dog & Owl Head

I got Elf Dog & Owl Head by M.T. Anderson from the library after seeing it won a Newbery honor this year. The book description says, "Clay has had his fill of home life. A global plague has brought the world to a screeching halt, and with little to look forward to but a summer of video-calling friends, vying with annoying sisters for the family computer, and tuning out his parents’ financial worries, he’s only too happy to retreat to the woods. From the moment the elegant little dog with the ornate collar appears like an apparition among the trees, Clay sees something uncanny in her. With this mysterious Elphinore as guide, he’ll glimpse ancient secrets folded all but invisibly into the forest. Each day the dog leads Clay down paths he never knew existed, deeper into the unknown. But they aren’t alone in their surreal adventures. There are traps and terrors in the woods, too, and if Clay isn’t careful, he might stray off the path and lose his way forever."

This book took me a little bit to get through at first, but once I got toward the end, I was definitely engaged and interested in finishing. I thought it was fun that the book took place during the pandemic (relatable for kids nowadays), and there was lots of unique fantasy and adventure. I also liked that the book had some illustrations throughout. In the end, I was happy with how the author tied things up, and I think the book had some good subtle messages about family and friendship. I think this would be a read aloud that my kids would really enjoy and be super into.

Rating: * * (2/3 = Liked it)

No comments:

Post a Comment