Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Matilda

Our family listened to Matilda by Roald Dahl on audiobook on our recent road trip. We thought it'd be fun since my daughter was recently in the musical at school. The book description of Matilda says, "Matilda is a sweet, exceptional young girl, but her parents think she's just a nuisance. She expects school to be different but there she has to face Miss Trunchbull, a menacing, kid-hating headmistress. When Matilda is attacked by the Trunchbull she suddenly discovers she has a remarkable power with which to fight back. It'll take a superhuman genius to give Miss Trunchbull what she deserves and Matilda may be just the one to do it!"

This was a fun book to listen to. I loved the narrator and all her voices, and while listening, I looked up who it was--and it was actress Kate Winslet! I'm sure I've read Matilda in the past (as a child or something), but I didn't really remember it. It was fun to compare it to the 90s movie and to the musical. (Like there's a scene with a parrot that's in neither. Or there are a lot of lines from the book that are the exact same in the musical.) I enjoyed the read but probably won't say "loved" it since it wasn't fresh and novel.

Rating: * * (2/3 = Liked it)

No comments:

Post a Comment