Sunday, April 28, 2024

Mere Christianity

I read Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis for book club. It's one of those books that I've heard quotes from for years but never actually read it. The book description says, "In the classic Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis, the most important writer of the 20th century, explores the common ground upon which all of those of Christian faith stand together. Bringing together Lewis’ legendary broadcast talks during World War Two from his three previous books The Case for Christianity, Christian Behavior, and Beyond Personality, Mere Christianity provides an unequaled opportunity for believers and nonbelievers alike to hear this powerful apologetic for the Christian faith."

This is a classic book that had some amazing thoughts and quotes that really got me thinking. But I will confess that as a whole, the book was pretty boring for me, and I wouldn't have finished it if it weren't for book club. A friend at book club described the author style as "meandering," which I think maybe describes why it was hard for me to follow sometimes, in addition to things being quite deep. But even though the book was slow/dry/boring for me, the parts I liked, I really liked. I had like 4 pages of favorite quotes I collected to share and discuss at book club, so clearly there was lots of good content in there, and we had a great book club meeting chatting about all the things we enjoyed from the book.

Rating: * (1/3 = It was okay)

No comments:

Post a Comment