Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Dust of Eden

I was looking for a book to read at the library and saw Dust of Eden by Mariko Nagai in the new book shelf in the children's section.  This book is about middle schooler Mina Tagawa whose life gets turned upside down in December 1941 when Pearl Harbor is attacked.  Just because her family is Japanese, her father is arrested, her classmates are calling her "Jap," and her family is eventually sent to an internment camp.  The book follows Mina during the difficult times that follow.

This was a great book and a super quick read. (I finished it during Emmeline's 1-hour dance class.)  This is another novel written in verse, which I've mentioned before is something I really like.  I also really like historical fiction, particularly books from the WWII time period.  The book was interesting and inspiring as I got to know Mina and her different family members and friends and saw how they handled the situations they went through.  Reading about the internment camps and the terrible way the Japanese were treated after Pearl Harbor just reminded me of the importance of kindness no matter what.  This was a beautiful read.

Rating: * * * (3/3 = Loved it)

No comments:

Post a Comment